Saturday, January 02, 2016

A Not So New Beginning

We can start with my admission this was not a breakthrough day in my life. I watched the ball drop in Times Square and the peach drop in Atlanta because both were on screen simultaneously. I stayed up reading The New York Times and a book until around 2:30AM. I was dead to the world until the alarm went off at 9:30AM. The clock usually fails to wake me, but this time, I got up. I fixed Mom breakfast and sat with her to eat a bowl of Lucky Charms. June, her best friend, called while we were eating and I left Mom talking to her when I went back to bed. I meant to sleep only a few more minutes, but that was my mistake, I stayed in my comfy bed asleep until late afternoon.

When I awoke I asked Mom if she was ready to eat lunch or supper. She chose supper, so I began my first attempt at a traditional Southern New Year’s Day meal. I cheated. I used a Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Baking Mix for the cornbread, to which I added honey because I saw some mixes claimed to include honey. I used Great Value canned black eyed peas, Margaret Holmes canned turnip greens, and a spiral sliced ham I cut into fourths overnight. I baked the cornbread and when it was almost done I warmed the vegetables in the microwave. The ham slices I warmed on our plates. I served the meal at the table. We both enjoyed it. I know I cheated, but I have never claimed to be a cook.

After eating, I read a little. I remembered I had taken a pie out of the freezer for dessert and asked Mom if she wanted a piece. She did, so I brought it out of the refrigerator. It was not thawed, so I warmed her piece of apple and mine of cherry in the microwave. The pie, as all the Daily Chef Samplers have been, was very good.

I took a shower and debated clothes choices for some time. I finally decided on an outfit. I called Linda, Reba, and Leigh to wish them Happy New Year. Mom wanted me to wrap Jayden’s birthday gift, which I got on New Year’s Eve day. I did that and wrote a card. After finishing I read and walked trying to get at least 10,000 steps in. I managed to accomplish it.





So that is my not so new beginning to what I hope is a super year. May all of you be graced with many blessings.

Always,
Jo Ann

No comments: