Saturday, November 02, 2013

I Am Late, But PAD Challenge Poem 1

The prompt for the Poem A Day Challenge Day 1 was to write an appearing poem. I am late as I did not get it done on November 1st, but I hope to stay current from now on... A tip of the hat to someone who made me think with a rather caustic remark...

How Things Appear

I am a writer…
I usually call all words
My beloved friends,
But when my motives become
Objects of question, I doubt.

Are some words really
So bad that using them in
Description causes
Others to feel besmirched when
The intention was no harm?

Maybe I need to
More carefully filter
The words I employ,
For I do not wish to cause
Anyone pain or offend.

People do come in
Varieties, differences
Are quite obvious,
I count it a great blessing
We are not exactly alike.

Red, Yellow, Brown, Black, White,
Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic,
Democrat, Republican, Constitutionalist, Independent, Confederate,
Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, Transsexual,
Male, Female, Young, Old, Overweight, Skinny,
Morning people, Night owls, Mentally ill, Able bodied, Differently enabled,
I could go on forever…

Is using a description evil?
I love people of all types, I write,
I celebrate what makes each of us individual,
We are each one an original,
God loves us all alike…
But maybe I should be more careful with my words,
Keeping up appearances and being politically correct…

© Jo Ann J. A. Jordan
Saturday, November 2, 2013

I may never hear the end of this one, but my creativity took the reins and I spoke from the heart...

No comments: