Sunday, March 20, 2005

Creative Journal Entry 5

Remember the last time you cried?
Honor your sorrow and pain.

I do not cry very often but when my feelings are hurt, it can cause tears. A few months ago, I got into an intense argument with my ex-sister-in-law. It was over politics and the election. She was practically demonizing me for my beliefs and convictions. I became very upset, went to my room, and cried.

I felt I had the right to my opinions and that those were not so wrong that I should be so strongly criticized. The thing that made me feel terrible was that I love this woman and she was acting as if I were an awful person simply because I disagreed with her point of view.

I have lived and experienced so much that I do not feel the world can be delineated into strictly black and white, right and wrong. There seems to me to be a lot of gray, middle ground in life.

I am a Christian, but do not feel that gives me license to judge others. I must have mercy and understanding even as God does. To be told that voting for one person is going to send our country to hell seemed to reflect that I was going to hell as well. This did not make sense to me as I read the gospel. Maybe my reasoning is faulty, but if so, in time I will come to see my error.

The sobs that racked me were harsh as is often the case when I feel misunderstood and hated. I know that I am not considered very highly within my family circle. All my life others have marginalized me in the family. I never quite measure up and this causes deep feelings of sadness and inadequacy.

There is a great deal of sorrow and pain attached to my position in my family. I would love to get along with everyone, but not all of them want me involved in their lives. This hurts because I love each member very much.

Five things for which I am grateful today:

1. Sleeping in
2. Painting
3. Reading
4. Writing
5. Good food

Always,
Jo Ann

No comments: