Sunday, September 23, 2012

365 Creativity Project-Day 258

Journal entry:

Journal 9-23-20120001

Emily Dickinson’s poem and my essay:

I taste a liquor never brewed --
From Tankards scooped in Pearl --
Not all the Vats upon the Rhine
Yield such an Alcohol!

Inebriate of Air -- am I --
And Debauchee of Dew --
Reeling -- thro endless summer days --
From inns of Molten Blue --

When "Landlords" turn the drunken Bee
Out of the Foxglove’s door--
When Butterflies -- renounce their "drams" --
I shall but drink the more!

Till Seraphs swing their snowy Hats --
And Saints -- to windows run --
To see the little Tippler
Leaning against the -- Sun --

Emily Dickinson

The Poem As Liquor

In the first stanza I believe Emily is writing about language in the poem. How it tastes new, is precious, and is uncommon. The poem is contained in a form which is not of baser materials. It cannot come from other minds, but is a distillation of the self. No one else could make such a potent use of language.

In the second stanza she relates her intoxication with the elements and how she breathes in endless warmth from the environment. This gives her the ability to write authoritatively from her own experience. She shares her self with we readers who visit from the wider world.

In the third stanza she scoffs at those who would place restrictions on her freedom to express herself. She states she will all the more enjoy herself because of those who wish to govern her use of language and form. She is breaking the rules with abandon.

In the fourth stanza she seems to be saying the heavenly hosts will rejoice with her in exuberance. Everyone will see her as outstanding in her presentations, which are shining with originality. She believes her work is life affirming and nurturing. She leans on beneficial elements supporting her and those who read her work.

The poem is so rare and fine readers can enjoy it on its surface or in a deeper reading. The language is rich and inviting. The images stand out convincingly.

Jo Ann J. A. Jordan
Sunday, September 23, 2012

My poem was prompted by the wordle at The Sunday Whirl. The words in italics come from that site. If you are in need of inspiration you may find it there.

Preventive Measures

I remain trapped by
Bundles of words in corners
I climbed to avoid
Damp storm winds and thunder
bolts
Which shook me like a corn husk.

You bring sweet relief
Through your reading what might have
Only become ash
Scattered upon the flooring
Of this lonely shut off room.

I break away from
My own limitations to
Grasp your hand across
The gulf of space and moments
Separating each of us.

You return to me
Over and again making
Some sense of my words
Bequeathed to your fine estate
Without any condition.

I know without you
I would be resigned to such
Bleak obscurity
I could never escape this
Hugely restrictive sentence.

Jo Ann J. A. Jordan
Sunday, September 23, 2012

Photographs:

DSC_0907

DSC_0908

DSC_0909

I am grateful:

1.   I have a home.
2.   I have comfortable clothing.
3.   I have food to eat.
4.   I am well educated.
5.   I have a good computer with internet access.

I hope you have had a wonderful Sunday. Now you should take some time and exercise your creativity. I do this every day and I know absolutely that you can write something with meaning. You are so creatively gifted.

As a prompt, write about a poem you enjoy. You could pick any poem you have ever read and do a close reading, or you could simply tell what the poem means to you. If you use this prompt, please leave a link to your work in the comments below.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit here. If so, please consider following Chronicles. I am very interested in your thoughts, suggestions, or criticism, so please leave a comment.

Always,
Jo Ann

 

 

No comments: